Another RNR Half Marathon and Team Transplant season in the books!
Thanks to everyone who participated and made it so much fun and worthwhile…We had stellar representation on race day and several team members who set significant PRs…
With a slight change in the starting area, we met at a new place which worked out perfectly. It turns out, however, that we were not the only ones who thought about the convenience and necessity of meeting next to Starbucks. With a 7am start, they must’ve made quite a killing that morning based on the line to order pre-race coffee!
While we waited for the race to begin, I got my pre-race photos, a team picture, and even a pre-race video interview with Mari Jo Fraser before heading out to my post out on Lake Washington Boulevard. As I made my way to my location, I ran into Evan Clemens’ wife who kept me company until Evan, our first finisher, zipped by…She then left so she could catch him at the finish. I continued to make my way to Gennessee Park where I waited for the rest of of the team to come by. The weather forecast was sketchy…threatening 80% chance of rain showers. There was about a 20 minute-period when we had some light rain but otherwise made it through the race unscathed weather–wise. It actually turned out to be a pretty perfect day for racing.
Once everyone cleared my check point (and I’d gotten a picture of them)…I headed to Centurylink to the finish area. Unfortunately, a good day for racing doesn’t mean it’s a good for an outdoor concert so the usual finish line festivities were a bit thin this year…but that only made it easier to find people! Julie Sprinkle and Susan Bussell did a wonderful job of stepping into Ron and Dick’s shoes…managing the start and finish for us…They even took photos of everyone who came to check out after the race…
And…while we made it through the race without any dire weather problems…we did get a couple pretty good down pours during the post-race celebration. Fortunately, we have a team full of canopy owners who showed up early and had the canopies set up in time for the rest of our guests to stay nice and dry while enjoying their BBQ!
Here’s a run down of how our team did…
Our Half Marathoners
· Evan Clemens 1:36:31–previous best 1:45:10 (from last fall’s Seattle Half)…That’s 10 minutes faster in 6 months!
· Cole Lorimer 2:30:11
· Steve Philips, Liver transplant 2:37:22 –previous best 3:09:50. That’s over 22 minutes improvement!
· Michelle Averill 2:44:25
· Anne Lund 2:44:27
· Mari Jo Fraser, Liver Transplant 2:47:04
· Joyce Jackson, NWKC 2:59:19—Previous best 3:20:57. That’s over 20 minutes faster!
· Jon Baird, Liver Transplant 3:09:31
· Tami Sadusky, Kidney-pancreas transplant 3:31:55
· Joe Florendo 3:33:29
· Len Yen, Liver Transplant 3:35:44
· Imelda Florendo 3:40:58
· Carla Trulson-Essenberg and Dave Trulson, Lung Transplant 3:48:10
· Glenda Roberts, Kidney Transplant 3:48:46–Previous best 4:27:38. That’s an improvement of over 38 minutes!
· Starla and Doug Sage, Lung Transplant 3:54:16–Previous best 4:03:07. That’s almost a 9 minute improvement!
· Cal and Davin Sturdivant 4:06:20
· Nancy and Bruce MacNeill, Liver Transplant 4:07:41–Previous best 4:53:32. That’s a whopping 46 minutes faster!
· Susan Isoshima 1:02:30
· Dennis and Carol Lynn Cole 1:38:12
Thanks again for a great season…from our racers to our volunteers to our planners to our supporters who push out the door each Saturday morning…We couldn’t do it without any of you!
· Special thanks go to Susan Bussell and Julie Sprinkle for their help on race day; to Janette Morantes and Cathy Seifert for providing support out on the course; and to Jon Baird for planning another very special post-race/post-season celebration!
· Stay tuned for Team Transplant 2016-2017…Paperwork will be coming out very soon!
o Training schedules start up again on Monday, Aug. 8th
o First team practice, Saturday, Aug. 13th
o Kick Off Breakfast, Saturday, Aug. 20th
o Dawg Dash Throwdown, Sunday, Oct. 23rd
o Third Annual Team Transplant Fundraising dinner, Saturday, Nov. 5th
o The Seattle Half Marathon, Sunday, Nov. 27th!
· And just a reminder…There are lots of race day pictures, video interviews, and Throw-Back Thursday pictures and articles on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/UWMCTeamTransplant/ )…Be sure to check them out…and give us a LIKE!
Enjoy your summer!
· Steve Philips’ time is actually a 32 minute improvement! (That’s what I get for doing math in my head…)
· And Dennis Cole is a Heart Transplant! (He’s got a great video interview and race picture posted on our Facebook page!)
Also…Alvin Valencia, kidney recipient and one of our Vashon Team Transplanters passed this message along:
Great Job Everyone!!! We”ll see you next season!! Alvin